Picture of Rhonda Sofer
Keynote speaker for our final event (end of June 2015)
by Rhonda Sofer - Thursday, 24 April 2014, 8:04 PM

I have an amazing and very exciting announcement to share with all of you regarding our final international conference which will be held in Haifa the last week of June 2015. 

We were waiting to set the date according to the availability of a  world-wide acclaimed keynote speaker.    I have been exchanging emails with our keynote and he is willing to participate in our international conference and is available between the dates  of  June 28 and July 3.  So please everyone, mark those dates off in your calendar! 

I am very honored, proud and excited to announce that Professor James Bank   has agreed to be the keynote speaker for DOIT’s International Conference on Promoting Curriculum Reform in Multicultural Education and Children’s Rights in Universities (name will be reworked at our upcoming consortium meeting).  Prof. Banks, an expert on Multicultural Education  presently holds the Kerry and Linda Killinger Endowed Chair in Diversity Studies and the Director of the Center of Multicultural Education at the University of Washington  is internationally recognized  for his important work on this topic as well as the well-known Multicultural Education Series .   His work has guided many of us who have been involved in multicultural education and has inspired parts of our work here for DOIT.   This is a great honor for our consortium.

I want to thank Prof. Hugh Starkey for helping me with the connection and encouraging me to write directly to Prof. Banks and invite him to be the keynote speaker.   This is really a great accomplishment and will be a wonderful way for us to have our “finale” event for DOIT.

Looking forward to seeing those who will be coming to our 4th Consortium meeting in Georgia next month.

Warmest regards,

Rhonda 

Picture of Nino Chiabrishvili
Re: Keynote speaker for our final event (end of June 2015)
by Nino Chiabrishvili - Thursday, 24 April 2014, 10:10 PM

Congratulations, dear Rhonda! I am very happy for you and DOIT team!

Nino

Picture of Rhonda Sofer
by Rhonda Sofer - Friday, 25 April 2014, 7:20 AM

This is really great for DOIT and each institution that is a member of DOIT.  As Roxana wrote in her announcement which followed this news, there is probably not anyone in the world who is an expert in multicultural education that has not read and used James Banks' material.   His writings, even of 20 years ago are relevant today.  His stress on the importance of moving beyond theory into social action and responsibility is part of the vision of DOIT.  Our courses incorporate some aspect of this philosophy in their design and structure.    

Roxana is correct that I have been "walking on air", but from there I have a amazing view of what we need to do in order for us to accomplish, both in regards to the achiveing the objectives of DOIT through August 15, 2015, as well as for the wok that we need to do to make this international conference a success.  With Prof. Banks'  as our Keynote Speaker, we have the potenital of reaching so many experts all over the world and making a serious contribution to the whole process and structure of promoting curriculum reform for multicultural education in universities and teaching colleges all over the world. It is really exciting and we all are part of the process that has enabled us to do what we have done to date.  

I want to stress, that one of the keys to understanding DOIT's accomplishments through the first half of our program,  has been our collaborative work together and the committment of each one of us to DOIT's objectives.  We have had and still have our differences, some of them small and some of them less small, but we are all united in the ultimate goal and aim of what we are trying to accomplish.  I want to thank all of you for your support as what we have acheived, we have not acheived as individuals, but as a group and a team.

Thank you and have a great weekend (yes I am seeing things from up high!  :) ).

Rhonda

Picture of Nino  Chikovani
by Nino Chikovani - Thursday, 24 April 2014, 11:44 PM

Great news! Congratulations!

Picture of Bernadet Tijnagel-Schoenaker
by Bernadet Tijnagel-Schoenaker - Friday, 25 April 2014, 10:58 AM

Really great news Rhonda! We look forward to the conference! Gerbert and Bernadet